Translate

Thursday, August 25, 2011

I'm 30 years old and I can finally say 'I remember when.'

 I had just applied for a job at a Goodwill next to the comic shop I'd been going to since I was a teenager and went over to say Hi to some friends.  Atomic Comics.  The lights were on so I assumed it was open.  I pulled on the door handle.  The door was locked.  Looking inside I realized that despite the lights being on, there was no one inside.  Looking at the door, a little confused, I noticed a sign.  'All four locations closed' and suggestions for alternate stores and they would be selling their remaining comics in a few days.  The company had closed down.  Bankrupt.  Written next to that was thank you note to all the loyal customers who had been coming for years.  Next to that was a card taped to the door with notes and signatures from as many people that could fit notes, signatures and their thank you's on it.  I fumbled around for a pen or pencil and finally found one, writing my own brief thank you for being around so many years.  To me it was a place where everybody knew everybody and we were all there for the same reasons.  We all had something in common.  We loved reading comics or role-playing games for one reason or another.  I even remember in their hey day (I think I spelled that right) that they'd moved to this spot from location just down the street from my house so they could accommodate all the new business and have more space.  I've been reading comics since I was a little kid.  Hell, I even remember nearly destroying my brothers collection on accident!  I'm not blaming the government or the economy.  I'm just realizing that I finally know what people mean when they say 'I remember when.'

No comments:

Post a Comment